On the eve of Nandotsava, here’s presenting Almond Elaichi Sandesh, sandesh cooked with almonds flavoured with cardamom. This sandesh recipe can be cooked easily with chena , sugar and Cardamom, ingredients mostly available at home.
Nandotsava, festival celebrated the day after the festival Janmashtami. It is believed that all the villagers of Braj visited Nand Baba’s house to see little Krishna and congratulate Mata Yashoda.
Sandesh is very popular in West Bengal. Mostly cooked with chena,sugar , this sweet delicacy has now many variants like Aam Sandesh, pineapple sandesh.
This Almond Elaichi Sandesh is very easy to cook.
- Cuisine – Indian
- Course – Dessert
- Prep time -10 minutes
- Cooking time -20 minutes
- Author Tina
HOW TO COOK ALMOND ELAICHI SANDESH AT HOME
- 1.5 litre Milk
- 10-15 Spoon Milk Powder
- 6 Lemons
- 6-8 Cardamom Pods
- 200 gm Crystal Sugar
- 10-12 Almond( Chopped)
- Pour Milk in a bowl. Let it boil.
2) Cut lemons into half. Squeeze the juice from the lemon in a bowl. ( Using lemon in milk curdling is the best option,as it gives a nice aroma to the curdled milk)
3) Put the juice in the milk, as soon milk starts boiling
4) Stir slowly so that the juice gets mixed with the milk. Generally milk curdles as soon lime juice is added.
5) Prepare some extra juice in case needed.
6) As soon greenish whey is visible, extract the chana/chena from it.
7) Drain out the excess water from the chana/chena.
8) Put a bowl/pan in oven. Put the chana/ chena in it. Add 4-6 spoon Milk Powder.
9) Start mixing. Mash them with a spatula so that no lumps are formed.
10) Continue mixing for 4-5 minutes.Stir continuously so that, chena doesn’t get stick to bottom of the pan.
11) Add 200 gm Crystal Sugar. (Using crystal sugar in making sweets is wonderful, as the mixture becomes less runny , also sugar need time to dissolve, crystal sugar dissolves easily)
12)Crush cardamom pods with mortar-pestle and put it in pan.
13)Mix them throughly. Then add half of the chopped almonds.
14)With a spatula mix everything. Make sure to cook this phase in low flame. Stir continuously so that chena doesn’t get stick to the pan.
15) Take a plate, brush ghee/butter on it. Transfer the chena on the plate.
16) Add milk powder as much needed ( here I have used 6 spoon of milk powder)
17) Start kneading. Knead well but don’t dry out the mixture.
18) Apply dollops of ghee on both palms. Make chena ball with palm, flatten them. Put single slice of chopped almond on each.
Keep it in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes( Cover it otherwise Sandesh will become dry )