Gathi Kochu known as Arbi in Hindi is very good for health. This humble curry has been cooked in traditional Bengali way.
Kochu or Gathi Kochu or Arbi as you say is one of the underrated vegetable. It usually comes in small size.
It causes itchy sensation or allergy to some people. There’s a tip to avoid it.
Make sure to add lime juice while boiling the Kochu and to add lime juice while cooking the curry.
This Gathi Kochu can have both vegetarian version as well as non veg way , like cooking it with prawns. Even it can be cooked simply with paanchphoron (no onion no garlic recipe).
But the Dalna , the recipe I am sharing today has been cooked with onion – garlic paste thus making a delicious preparation with wonderful flavour.
- Cuisine – Bengali
- Course – Main Course
- Prep time -10 minutes
- Cooking time -10 minutes
- Author Tina
- 200 GM Taro Root/ Gathi Kochu
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Onion
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt and sugar to taste
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 lemon
HOW TO COOK BENGALI STYLE GATHI KOCHUR DALNA
- Peel off the skin and cut horizontally. Wash them thoroughly before putting for boiling.
- Put them in water. Squeeze half lemon and put the juice. Boil till Kochu softens.
- Drain out the water.
- Put mustard oil in pan. ( The pungent aroma gives nice flavour to the curry).
- As smoke starts coming out from the oil, add the kochu/ Arbi pieces. Fry them cautiously (as Kochu /Arbi tends to break if tossed more).
- Set them aside after frying.
- Now temper the same oil with the dry red chilli and 1/2 tsp sugar.
- Make a smooth paste of tomato, onion and garlic cloves. Put it in pan
- Add 1 tsp coriander powder, salt and sugar to taste. Add 1 tsp Turmeric powder. Saute them till the raw smell of the masala goes away.
- Add the fried arbis. Cook for few minutes in low flame.
- Add water as much needed.
- Lower the flame and cover with a lid for few minutes.
- Sprinkle 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder. Squeeze the remaining half lemon and add the juice. Don’t cook after adding the juice. Only mix them. Make sure to put off the flame before adding the juice. It’s ready to serve.