A delicious spicy Bengali Mutton Curry cooked with Mutton and spices in mustard oil.
KOSHA MANGSHO – a must in all Bengali festivals or any special occasion. This Bengali Mutton Kosha is a bit at every Durga Pujo. Since only few days left to celebrate the biggest festival of Bengal, I am sharing recipes that will make Durga Pujo feast more alluring.
Kosha Mangsho – A popular traditional Bengali dish,cooked in a thick tomato-onion gravy together with Garam masala powder adding strong flavour to the curry.
There are two ways to COOK this KOSHA MANGSHO
- Marinate mutton pieces overnight with yoghurt and papaya zest and then slow cook in Kadai. Overnight marination gives adequate tenderness to the Mutton and the slow cooking process makes mutton curry more luscious.
- Other step is to pressure cook mutton for 20 minutes before cuddling them with spices in Kadai.
It’s best to use mustard oil to cook mutton curry since the pungent smell makes it more tempting.
- Cuisine – Indian (Bengali)
- Course – Main Course
- Author Tina
- 500 gm Mutton
- 2 Tomato (large)
- 3 Onion (large)
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch Ginger slice
- Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Sweet Curd
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Mustard Oil to Cook
HOW TO COOK BENGALI MUTTON KOSHA
- Marinate Mutton pieces with 1 tsp turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Cut tomato, Onion into thin slices.
- Put it in pan. Add 4 Garlic Cloves.
- Saute for few minutes.
- Wait for few minutes till veggies soften and change its colour.
- Put it in mixer alongwith ginger slice. Make paste.
- Put the mutton pieces in cooker. Add 1 Onion (dices), 4 Garlic Cloves. Cook for 20 minutes
- Add mustard oil in pan.
- Temper the Oil with 1 tsp Sugar.
- Put the masala paste of tomato-onion . Saute for few minutes till masala starts changing colour.
- Take a bowl. Add 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder, 1 Tsp Salt, 1 Sweet Curd(sweet curd gives nice colour to the mutton, adds more texture and taste than yoghurt) little bit water and make smooth paste.
- As the tomato onion gravy paste start changing colour, add the curd paste.
- Cook in medium-low flame.
- Add the boiled mutton pieces.
- Cook in medium flame, let the Mutton pieces get cooked on its own.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add 1 tsp Ghee.
- Mix everything well.
- Add water.( Use the Mutton stock and the water poured in masala keeping bowl).
- Let it cook in medium flame now.
- Cook till oil starts floating on top.
- Sprinkle 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder and finish cooking.
It goes best with rice or pulao.