The biggest festival of nation – Durga Pujo, has come to an end. Ma Durga left for her home with her family after spending days at her maternal home.
As Ma Durga immerses in water, Bengali does Bijoya Dashami, a ritual where people touch feet of their elder, and seek their blessings, exchange sweets. People visit family, Friends, treat each other with sweet or salty snacks like Nimki, Chanachur. It’s an age old tradition.
My mother cooks Nimki for this occasion since my school days. We treat our guests with homemade Kucho Nimki and sweets. This year, Ma prepared this Mishti Nimki for this eve. This Mishti Nimki- it’s just the sweeter version of the salty Nimki. Deep fried Nimkis are dunked in a sugar syrup, thus making it sweet and also an awesome easy-to-cook Sweet Recipe.
- Nimki can be of any shape, depending on preference.
- Always dip the salty Nimkis in sugar syrup immediately after frying. Let it soak for 20 minutes.
- Crush cardamom or cloves can be used for making syrup flavourful.
This NIMKIS can be stored in Air tight container for months.
- Cuisine – Bengali
- Course – Snack/Desserts
- Prep time -40 minutes
- Cooking time -20 minutes
- Author Tina
- 4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 4 Tablespoon Oil (Preferred soya oil or Sunflower oil)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- Soya Oil to Fry
- Take a bowl. Take the whole wheat flour.
- Add salt, baking powder.
- Add 4 Tablespoon Oil.
- Mix Everything.
- Use in mixing everything. As the Flour starts crumbling in palm, start adding water.
- Made a tough dough.
- Smear oil on the top, rest it for 30 minutes.
- Pour oil in kadai. Boil it on High flame till smoke starts coming out.
- After 30 minutes, make balls from the dough.
- Roll paratha from the dough ball.
- Cut the paratha with a knife- vertically and horizontally.
- Start frying them in oil. Fry them golden.
- Pour 1 cup water in another kadai. Add 1 Cup sugar. Boil it to prepare sugar syrup. Check the consistency. The syrup shouldn’t be too thick.
- Transfer the Nimkis in sugar syrup as soon it gets fried.
- Soak it for 10-15 minutes
- Transfer to a plate. Let it cool. Serve.