Chana Masala – It’s a popular spicy dish cooked with Chickpeas in loads of Spices and tomato, Onion and garlic. If wish Onion and garlic can be skipped in cooking this dish. I have cooked this recipe in minimal spice thus making it less Spicy.
To cook Chana Masala, Chana must be soaked overnight in water. Otherwise it will not melt even after pressure cooking. Also whole spices like cardamom, cinnamon sticks can be put in the Dal while pressure cooking, to make the curry more flavourful.
Chana Dal is very good for health, as well as it wins heart with its taste. So, this time I tried to cook this in minimal spice so that it becomes easy to digest, hence good side dish for kids and elderly person as well.
Always Soak Chana Dal overnight in water before Cooking.
- 250 GM Kabuli Chana
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Onion
- 4-6 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 inch Ginger slice
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Mustard oil
- Salt and sugar to taste
HOW TO COOK LESS SPICY CHANA MASALA
- Soak Kabuli Chana overnight in water. Next morning, drain out the water and put the Chana in pressure cooker. Pressure cook the Chana for 20-25 minutes.
- Chop the tomato, Onion, garlic cloves and ginger slice. Make paste.
- Pour Mustard Oil in pan.
- Temper the oil with 1 tsp sugar and red Chilli.
- Put the masala paste.
- Cook for few minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Put the pressure cooked Chana. Mix everything.
- Add 1 tsp turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Add water.
- Cook on high flame till water absorbs the flavour of masala.
- Sprinkle 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder and finish cooking.
Serve hot with roti/Paratha.