Have you ever been to Kolkata? If yes, then you must have witnessed small shacks on side of road busy cooking snacks for travellers, daily passengers. Chop is one of our classic Recipe that has won heart all over the world. Shacks, kiosks selling crunchy crispy chop, cutlery are a signature sight of any locality of Kolkata. Streets of Kolkata is incomplete without a smoke coming straight from the chop selling vendor across street. The popularity of this chop lies in its cheap price. A pair of Phuluri costs maximum rupees 4. Since this is affordable, this crispy croquette forms breakfast for many who comes over for job, for work and can only afford minimal for food.
You know where I develop fondness for this Chop. Back in my school days, there was a Kaku(uncle) who used to sell Chop, cutlet in a small place aligned with the bookshop from where we used to buy copies. He used to cook this yummy Phuluri in a different way. We were a fan of his hand’s chops. He used to cook Phata Phuluri from the regular Phuluri , taste of which is still in my tongue. So, today I have shared this recipe here.
- Cuisine – Bengali
- Course – Snack
- Prep time -10 minutes
- Cooking time -20 minutes
- Author Tina
- 1 -2 Cup Gram Flour
- 1 Tsp Nigella Seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
HOW TO COOK PHATA PHULURI
- Take a bowl. Take all the dry ingredients in the bowl.
- Mix them.
- Add water slowly.
- The batter shouldn’t be too runny.
- Boil oil in pan. Take 1-2 spoon sf hot oil and pour it in batter. Whip again.
- This will make the croquette more crispy.
- Now take small amount of batter in Palm and put it in pan.
- Fry golden brown.
- Flip in between to fry both sides.
- Take out on a plate once Phuluri gets fried.
- Smash with a ladle/spatula.
- Again fry it in pan.
- Fry in medium flame and flip carefully. Don’t overfry them.
- Take out on a plate.
- Serve hot.