Dal Chingri – A Bengali dish cooked with Mug Dal and prawns. This recipe has no onion and garlic in it, cooked only with ginger and flavoured with garam masala. This recipe is ideal for rice mainly, also can be paired with roti.
This recipe, my Dida used to cook this recipe for us on eve of Jamai -shosti. Paired with hot jhuri Aloo bhaja, I used to finish a large bowl of rice with this Dal only. It’s been years now she left us . My Ma cooks this often, though she doesn’t want to, it makes her nostalgic. This was my first attempt to cook this Recipe. Without my Mom’s help, it was impossible for me to curate this elaborate process.
This recipe is not just any Recipe for our family. It’s an emotion that I have tried to pen down here to share with my extended family here.
- Cuisine – Bengali
- Course – Main Course
- Prep time -10 minutes
- Cooking time -30 minutes
- Author Tina
- 6 Spoon Mug Dal
- 2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 Tsp Ginger paste
- 2 Tsp Jeera
- Salt and sugar to taste
- 100 gm Prawn
- 1 medium size Tomato
- Mustard Oil to Cook
HOW TO COOK DAL-CHINGRI
- Dry Roast Mug Dal in pan.
- Roast the Dal until nice aroma comes out.
- Roast the Dal in medium -low flame otherwise it will burn.
- After few minutes of roasting, dal changes colur to brown.
- Put Dal in washing after roasting.
- Take a pressure cooker. Pour 1 cup water.
- Put the Dal.
- Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp Turmeric powder, 1 tsp ginger paste. Drizzle 1 drop of mustard oil.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Pour Mustard oil in pan.
- Temper the oil with 1 tsp Jeera.
- Put prawns for frying. Sprinkle 1 tsp Turmeric powder and salt. Fry Prawns golden (Cook in High flame, prawns should be bit crisp for this recipe).
- Set the prawns aside after frying.
- Pour 2 tsp mustard oil in pan.
- Temper the oil again with 1 tsp jeera.
- Chop the tomato and put it in pan.
- Add 1 tsp ginger paste.
- Add 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder.
- Mix everything. Cook for 1-2 minutes in medium flame.
- Add fried Prawns. Add salt and sugar to taste. Pour the Dal.
- Mix Everything. Cover with a lid and let it cook for few minutes.
- Remove the lid, toss everything.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder and finish cooking.
Enjoy with hot rice.