Ilish is every Bong’s first love. Be it simple Ilish Maach Bhaja or Ilish Bhapa or Ilish Beguner Jhol , each and every recipe cooked with Ilish makes Bangali drool. Also one big advantage of cooking Ilish Maach is it doesn’t require any extra spice to cook any Recipe. As Ilish Maach itself has an awesome taste, cooking any recipe with it is easy. But Ilish is a delicate fish so cooking should be sophisticated. Basic of cooking Ilish Maach is it shouldn’t be fried too much, otherwise the flavour will be gone.
ILISH MAACH – with its huge fan base in South Asia and middle East, is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, hence is very good for health.
ILISH PATURI – one of the popular traditional Bengali dish used to flatter people in days when Ilish was must in occasions like Annaprason( maiden rice), Biye (marriage) or any auspicious occasion. Smoke evaporating from the warm leaf, unfolding which leads to a juicy, aromatic fish piece makes anyone weak on knees. The signature element of this dish is mustard powder and poppy seeds, paste of which coats the fish pieces. Poppy seeds become more aromatic upon dry roasting, which makes the preparation more tempting.
Check the written Recipe
- Cuisine – Bengali
- Course – Main Course
- Prep time -15 minutes
- Cooking time -20 minutes
- Author Tina
- 4 pieces Ilish Maach/ Hilsa Fish
- 2 Spoon Mustard Seeds
- 2 Spoon Poppy Seed
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
- Banana leaf
- Mustard Oil
HOW TO COOK BENGALI STYLE ILISH PATURI
- Take posto/ poppy seeds in a pan. Dry Roast the poppy seeds. Dry Roast them in low flame till nice aroma comes out.
- Let it cool after roasting. Put it in blender.
- Add 2 tsp Mustard Seeds in the same.
- Grind them into powder.
- Add water in the same. Make smooth paste.
- Season Ilish Maach with salt and turmeric powder.
- Coat them with the mustard paste- poppy paste.
- Roast Banana leaf in pan.
- Put the fish pieces after resting them for 15 minutes.
- Drizzle dollops of mustard oil.
- Put one chilli and sprinkle salt to taste.
- Fold the leaf from every corner and wrap with a thread.
- Drizzle mustard oil in pan.
- Put the banana leaf wrapped fish in pan.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Flip once in between.
- As leaves start changing colour , open the lid and cook for few minutes more.
- It’s ready.
- Always dry roast Banana leaf and poppy seed before cooking. Dry roasting gives nice aroma.
- Poppy Seed can be soaked in water before grinding.
- Always cook fish in mustard oil for nice aroma.