A bowl of hot rice is needed to polish off this yummy fish curry cooked in less spices. This recipe which can be cooked in just 10 minutes, is often cooked at our home whenever Baba brings fresh Khoira Maach from market. Seasoned with salt and turmeric powder, fishes are fried first before cooking them in light curry.
Khoira Maach or Koroti Fish is a popular fish that is found in rivers and ponds of Orissa, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal and Assam. These fishes are a rich source of nutrients. They provide most of the essential minerals in human nutrition as these fishes are eaten whole, with bones , head and eye. Mostly eaten as fried , this fish also tastes awesome as curry.
Some important tips to keep in mind while cooking fish.
- Always season fish with salt, turmeric powder and marinate for few minutes before frying them. This makes the fish more Crispy and tasty.
- Cook the curry in same oil where fishes have been fried.
- If you don’t like the aroma of fish, add fresh lime juice to conceal the aroma.
- 150 gm Khoira Mach
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 Eggplant
- 1 small Potato
- 1/2 Tomato
- 1 tsp Jeera
- Mustard Oil
HOW TO COOK KHOIRA MACHER JHAL
- Wash fish pieces in lukewarm water. Sprinkle 1 tsp Turmeric powder and salt on them and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Pour Mustard oil in pan.
- Wait till smoke comes out.
- Put the fish pieces in pan for frying. Fry them crisp. Set aside after frying.
- Temper the same oil with 1 tsp Jeera.
- Chop onion into slices and put it in pan.
- Cut potato into Wedges and eggplant into cubes.
- Add them in the Pan as well.
- Fry them for few minutes.
- Add 1 tsp Turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Keep frying on high- medium flame.
- Chop tomato into thin slices and put it in pan as well.
- Add water next.
- Wait till water starts boiling. As water starts boiling, put the fish pieces.
- Mix carefully with the curry.
- Wait for few minutes more and put off flame.
Serve with hot rice.