An utterly delicious creamy Eggplant mash cooked with roasted Eggplant . No spices are used to cook this recipe. Roasted Eggplant are mashed with fingers and salt and sugar enhances the taste. Try this recipe with rice or roti. It tastes wonderful.
Eggplant or Begun, as we say in Bengali is very good for health. And isn’t it a treat when a healthy meal can be cooked in such a way that it becomes tasty. Well this Bengali style Begun Pora is one such Recipe. It’s been quick to cook and the outcome tastes fabulous.
In our home, my Ma, Baba and Bonu all are big fan of Begun bhaja. I am the only one who loves Begun Pora more. This creamy mishmash is less oily compared to Begun bhaja(deep fried Eggplant cubes) also there’s no spice in this recipe. So, how many people are excited to check this yummy preparation!!
Tips to keep in mind while cooking this recipe:
- Always pick soft Eggplant to cook this recipe. Prick the skin of eggplant with fork or nail and check if it can be pierced or not.
- Slit the Eggplant for getting better roasting result.
- 1 large Eggplant
- 1 Onion
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Garlic cloves
HOW TO COOK BENGALI STYLE BEGUN PORA
- Take Eggplant. Slit it after chopping the top. Keep the tail .
- Rub the skin with 1-2 drop of mustard oil and pinch of salt.
- Take a chapati roasting net. Put the eggplant on it. Roast the eggplant for 25 -30 minutes till it becomes soft.
- Once the eggplant becomes soft, take it out on a plate. Scrape the charred skin and scoop out the flesh.
- Add salt to taste and pinch of sugar.
- Boil the onion and mash it with mortar and pestle. Add it in eggplant mash.
- Mix with fingers.
- Serve hot or cold with rice or roti.