An authentic Bengali dish cooked with fried head of Hilsa fish. As I always say, hilsa is not just a fish for Bengalis. It’s an emotion. From age old classic like Bhapa Ilish , Sorshe Ilish , Ilish Beguner Jhol to today’s fusion recipes- Ilish Biryani, Ilish Do Pyaza, Ilish has wowed his lovers with many different types of recipes.
Hilsa fish head is equally treasured for its flavour. From macher mathar Chorchori ( fish mishmash with spices and assorted veggies) to matha diye Ghonto (Curry cooked with fish head), recipes cooked with fish head are also head turner.
This MAACHER MATHA DIYE KOCHUR SHAAK is one of those heartwarming recipes that will not only drool you but will fill your heart too.
- Cuisine – Bengali
- Course – Main Course
- Prep time -10 minutes
- Cooking time -20 minutes
- Author Tina
- 2 Hilsha fish head
- 200 Gm Kochu Shaak / Taro Root
- 2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Gur
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Oil
- Chop the Kochur Shaak into fine pieces. Scrap it’s skin. Wash it throughly under running water.
- Put it in pan. Add salt and 1 tsp Turmeric powder.
- Let it cook in medium flame for few minutes.
- Cover with a lid and toss in between.
- Now set it aside as the shaak softens.
- Now pour mustard oil in pan.
- Temper the oil with 1 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera.
- Add the Kochur Shaak.
- Toss them.
- Set it aside after this step.
- Now fry fish head pieces in the same oil.
- Break them into shreds.
- As fish heads softens,add the shaaak.
- Add salt to taste and gur.
- Start mixing.
- Cook till fish heads scrambles well and mixes with the shaak.
- Spread dollops of mustard oil and finish cooking.